Monday, September 29, 2014

III. (Formal Heptagon)

Coronette III
1.
The brilliant vibrato, too loud in me to hear–
it’s they who know, fish swimming in
our radiant noise:

Tansy drum on the hollow earth. I can give only
what hears the word, tansy answers and says
its name (lord knows I’m not articulate) between 
us, this fish, savvy, oh you who died long ago
you who were never born, the fish are here to tell you
all there is to know.

2.
That’s nice. But what of the man naked in the desolate
mowed prairie, chill fall sun, the little dogs yapping around him, what 
did she have in mind to photograph him like this. 
A little photographer looks at her back, the religion,
the continuous truth telling of it, says all the world to make us
feel small. Is this enough to remind her, how cod know our
history? Tilapia our filth, like potatoes and ribgrass? 
The stuff that lives behind us.

3.
All I want is to make you remember.
fish or flower
this is the only nakedness I can give you

over and over: nakedness fails every stipulation
and is naked again like the word. I can only give you
the painfully savvy fish 

as it slips into your voice
ordering me to be seen, 
horrible Egyptian worm that makes us see.

I can only tell you what you already know, like that 
angel says with her dinner bell: Are you ready to come back in?

4.
There is no gaze but the voice
shatters simulacrum, the apple
to what you’re supposed to eat

body a pole in the circle of its limbs
mandala of peaceful, wrathful deities

shatters world into Bardo
the words come back to say us
our nakedness in their power
all feeling and pith
sonnette du chair
ringing themselves.

Pith of me
rings round

tantra for the inner tantra
a bell for you, I touch

I touch deeper than the ring
dig of naked force

to where forces live.
I bare myself until you are past this.

5.
Today is clear, no weather, no ships
bluffed in cloud, the history
of the mind is the history of ignorance, too
I’d love to get a neurologist in my hands
show one of those Archipenko sculptures
the curves, meat of it, all pervaded by space
explain the sexy mystery of I don’t really know.

6.
It’s night with me, too full of difference to be other 
than it is, like Smetana’s The Bartered Bride 
I sing with a potato in my cardigan, caroled 
across the absurd distance of each other, into your prim ear
I circumambulate the fountain–if there’s anything 
to be done naked– the dewy grass, white marble
picking through horned snails rolled up moths
by the glistening beastly pines
It’s noon you say, and the little dogs in the field.
I feel this mediocre Rorschach test, my Brancusi,
in my heavy mystical peasant, your nimble whatever
you are, you make me feel. I make you say, but you
make me feel.

7.
The voice that left her, became perspective,
became me, poured out of the
same cry, first wail until calm to its means
we learn to read its thingly portent
and live in its fathomless pattern.

Learn to read and say everything again
read back, that special way of pine or potato
or the heavy honey draw of skin
joining to its cry, where you are, listening
some inexhaustible air-freshener persistent with synthesis.

Listening, the forgiveness of loose ends, apples fallen by
the wayside–the tree is all wayside– so you’ve got to walk
right in, be the woman, be me, the tree in the ring, clamber into the bowl
crown skullcup, alloyed. It is Done. 
You hold forth, affirming from the balcony of yourself, it’s a gas station, 
somewhere between here and there. A man in pajamas and a necklace of finger
bones walks by with his himalayan cat, tongue out between two
lower tusks, squashed temple guardian face as if chiseled into square stone

the Gulf sign with its blue and slightly cloudy sky, the perfect
clarity of your own behind it, darkening in its upper expanse
as the what kinda tree is that?’s extremities turn until the 

color of your hair. And from this vantage you keep the other-world’s vigil.

No comments:

Post a Comment