Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Respondent from Here

The Respondent from Here
a festschrift, for Robert, 9.XXIV.14
1.
It’s never the same twice, all you have to do is wait 
and the arcana the seven cities those legions of angels 
– shave off the night
 and ask a question of today’s seal on the rock:

the instrument out playing. What avoids reproach
from itself. Ta’wil. And by play I meant sex
and by sex I meant work. The first Being Duty. The 
first thing you ever did when you woke up this morning
and sat down on the rock what news do you have today?

The news of the rock. The book of us MacCodrums.
Seals in the daytime– under the sun of the other.

2.
Who sits on the rock speaks the book of the rock. 
Menelaus forgets he isn’t a bull-walrus and his
sea wife drags him home with her. The kind of sense
that survives the beautiful lies of Protean everything
until you’re no-place holding something soft and warm. 
Flesh is intelligent on the other side of the airtight lock. 
Open it with a breath. This is the will of the world.

3.
I rub my hands a numbness in my left pinky and ring finger
(but of course they’re all ring fingers) this cool september
morning. The wife and kids still on the other side of my dream.
There’s an apartment on Nostrand and President in some 
totally other configuration like lighthouses come down to the sea 
such mysterious ambassadors what light casts its shadow 
on my fingers what rock chose them– like your grandmother at 
the end of the world at Brighton Beach sitting on the jetty 
pearls like they used to, her silver hair round mirror earrings.

If we knew what we were looking for we might know why.
It’s the personal business of The Person. Yell out what you
see and hope for the best. Synapses in the mass psychology
of god, having the crazy epiphany of everything else.
What’s it got to do with anything besides being continually thought.
The bible’s the only book we know how to write. My finger
stones begin to tingle as I walk past P.S. 316 and lo! these
are my wives, these are my children, only they don’t know it.

4.
I misread test for fest(schrift). Body, in the magyar, 
flesh of the world. It’s hard to eat anything when you’re young. 
When you succumb to youngness. Forgetfulness:
the second nature. The unknown work. Because we never 
stop eating, to bury the secret book in your body. It’s food that’s new, 
like cellphones and skydiving. We’ve been doing it all along.

5.
The Book of Celestial Man. I mean as she was, not too much in,
not too much out. The mesocosm, somewhere between universal 
and man, the fold between no image of the world and an image,
where the Tarot is real enough you might recognize me.

Everyone’s a messenger. The carrier pigeons used to
black out the sky. Used to be us, carried our 
selves, our ispeity.

You can kill an image without even aiming.

He said from the shadow where a feather had been.

But we are armed against this. I am an earless seal
my song not from the throat, but the mind, spurts of Elmer’s glue.

Why should I explain my song. The shadows are not
about telling. Unassimilables get us
and strut away. Clinamen, highwaymen, rogue images.

I am the breathing rock of the plain of their existence. 
A rock in the flagellant’s shoe, when he can no longer feel me.

6.
It’s a heresy but compassion needs those nouns, 
the shipping container of your life, its endless spill
in the tidal river of us. Only the precision of the piece
of petrified wood on my desk, a naughtiness in the
phrasal keeps the world stapled together. The sin
is to reduce It to us.
Yet there is no It without us. Go ahead, sin.

7.
The heaving world in us oxen.

There are wheelbarrows
and sturdy, sly smiles, cowgirls
a cow people (that is what we are, isn’t it)
behind the evanescent froth of my snorts.

Near enough to wreck on, no doubt.

The world wrecked up on the world, as soon as you feel it there.

A drunken sailor chasing star, rock,
seal, in the great well of first absence
remembered like water remembers
water.

It was all true. I confess– every lie I
threw out came back as a cute neighbor,
looking for sugar, mistrustful
of me, thinking of pie.

All the lives I’ve forgotten but this one
body dissolving rain of the names of things.
Time is a sacred nonsense. 
The poem is what takes a day to write. 

The form takes on its newest failings
new demands, for light, trees;
the newest growth, bathed in the murky
restaurant of time’s hip-pocket
peers wistfully over the ridge, bridge of my glasses
not knowing what’s there but
the insistent geometry, or is it hydrometry
that fancy word for following your walking stick

leads us with the peculiar regularity of spectral babel, and is its exegesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment