Saturday, August 22, 2015

LE SPHINX

LE SPHINX

Throw the blueprints in the Seine
a warm bath of lavender and gold
to cure you of wakefulness forever
just a mirror left, polished shield

looking into the heart of things
a kid sneaking up on the river to find
a woman there, any woman alone
thank god music has no memory,

so we know we’re really there
listening stupidly through all the resonance
in my head. Weighty interfused water
resonance says exactly how dumb I am, prescribes:

this is what you don’t know, open your pores, ears
and I’ll tell you all that’s worth saying.
I’m still listening to those secrets, send
the waiter over with a glass of water and a wink

from the gentlemen over there to the other me then 
the music through my head not a single word but pots and pans
rattling on their hooks a house breathes along
happy to dance, to touch the melody like dough.

Hold what is but do not hold it to be anything,
said the voice. End Mozart piano concertos 25 & 9. 
She was probably a snake, sphinx from the album cover, 
it takes all the me’s to hold her, or more, only it still doesn’t hurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment