Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A Commentary

By tree I meant fire
its long arms bent down
to me. I mean me

bent down over the lake
–all this damn explication

moon-business, me-ing, not being
the light. In wait for the Lady.

I bent down.
First mistake.
Then believing the
showy extravagance of being seen,

even worse. Light with its drama
of things as they are.

Well they ain’t.

A tree spends its whole life
thinking it’s a man.

Waits and waits
because it’s seen and
never knew what it saw
was the beloved’s offering;
the imago, coy image the light gave 
to remember me by, voluptuous silence
of another tree, its leaves sealed off
behind the clouds.

But not clouds,
and not me. 
Who?

Just wait and it pulls,
and one day I’ll come home
the way all images come home
I bend down into the water
and my face comes off in your hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment