Friday, November 28, 2014

Ancram



I.
1.
Orion slipping down past the treeline
spit on the windshield down the
white tail a deer flashed me
semaphore of what light so far away
so perhaps the hunter has already
fallen, or risen again, though now’s
pattern remains a rigid pressure his back
gripped to the dome of the sky
a tensor at the back of words.

How is it all things fall to some pull
absolutely never known and it is angelic
privilege to stand there weeping
you learn to taught suddenly
crisis in the middle of the woods
you seem to have forgotten we’re all trees
it’s all wood even that stuff you call air
through which the branches unload their keys.

2.
Snow on my lilacs
in far off Ancram

namrac 
marnac 
carnam
caramn

when it’s done a beat of silence
snow thud on your lonely shoulder
the birds keep low on your periphery
beginning of a medieval hunger
a slip of cold knifes under the doctor’s door
door to amputate your true love’s name. I mean to remember.

3.
Lower down the bucket into
stars there and your own face
has nothing to do with reflection
it’s all the first person a sorry lot
we ever had this one way to see
the old men would expose themselves where
the sun don’t eye can’t I’ve
got to see you that’s the only me.

The moon on your skin
no mirror but hand’s well
I lower in from the other side
my bucket up from the earth
everything you do is lowering
towards you– I don’t bother to 
scoop up the stars, unless you do.































II.

1.
In frozen nowhere out of all meaningful continuity (we thought)
the yellow fat candles helped warm the little shack if there is any
failure to writing it is I cannot express
the boredom of life there, only how
every thousand years: maybe it was
over here I lost that thing  .  nagged at us
unquiet of its happening
and happening, this lone orbital birthpang–
just the one forever
holds you
    in its severance. (ouch!)

The thing maybe you left it upstairs
a shadow behind the stars  .  haunting your haunting of it
The Great Bear all year
watching her hunters come and go.

2.
He levels at the break, the sword to close wounds
but there is no healing, a wound deeper than
closure.
Her sturdy legs as she
in slippers and coat
looks up
the actual

bear scat next to her on the lawn, eyes closed
she hears your motion, sounds
skin rustling  .  fur side in
love kills you
tense shoulders say
I can hear you wear me like I you
      and yet survive, a pain enough to keep 
      warm in the oldest wound there is.

3. (after Olson’s Orion:
How is it there was a cold room & Orion tensing up
from the tree-line, that this
heart different   than moonrise
lunged up
  through the branches
stirs in
us, we stir
where she’s always been  .  who would see to find.







































III.

1.
It’s as hard to read
as it was to write, methinks

how long are your teeth grown?
arms of my mouth,
how hungry you are, take

only excuse me for being there.

“I have no trouble finding meaning in J.C.P (paraphrase)
everything, it’s a personal thing
I’ve problems with.”

2.
That I could
get between the parts of the fire:
you’ve come to hear all about it;

a tooth long enough to break
between the shadows and the light
and put its own ravenousness there

stirs the precedent–
and you come in

complaining about something, no I don’t
want to watch a movie when I’m writing
by candlelight of beasts and the vague

intimation of some saber toothed intelligence
presses against my shoulders
the vegetable 
powers give one hard tap against the window
where was a black lushness lapping
at my mind nearly howled after you
go ween your heart on phantoms!

3.
But who am I,
when such dramatis personae
as mind or movies
meet in you still, I say: in her own plot
the creature in my body knows what speech is natural.



No comments:

Post a Comment