Monday, December 1, 2014

Winter Vocabulary

Winter Vocabulary

Snow heavy skin the branches my fingers
bent to the page, intestinal sound
of snow thuds from the silence the heart
you can hear it far off weeping for the
plum tree as it scrambles over the mountain

thinking over and over
we’re going to lose a lot of branches
who’s we?
but whose branches they are, our Norse grammar
a mangled tree and a broken heart.

A black branch scribbling between the pages
between skin and skin, I almost wrote sin
making the kind of letters you need a bible for
such dubious morality as being
tree, me, a severed hand writing epistles on the yard.

Whose yard? the hole from Ptolemy’ s compass
snug somewhere in a book of skies and you thought
you were watching geese migrate, o ruddy researcher
as my footnotes track your rocky spine barking their
fearless nonsense in your no-nonsense ear.

Whose nonsense? but the where of it, and who
I understand you with, you who is the next word
bird, angel coming in through the window
and I’m pregnant with you reading the book in the sky
it says we’re going to lose a lot of branches.

There you have it, all the wisdom in the world:
you is we is they, unruly bones grow in the distance
between us, all that wood and pining away words are
so there’s no mistaking what I mean, what I really mean
weighted to the ground and how I wanted

as you lifted your heavy boot and stood over me.
The way you listen to the bones in your magic hand, pillowed
to your ear scripting your dream with their spell
which also means fit, and time, the way I
crouch here mad with the thought of you

how my skin melts on yours, my preposterous cold skin
herringbone and yellow cashmere
listening to the girl’s booth drink their milkshakes
who’s going to be a camp councillor next summer. And I’m
still there. Listening, listening you all over. Go ahead, talk to me.

I’m still everywhere, a black mystery weeping
in the crushed grass, on the dusty flowers still
for sale under awnings of 6th ave., so cold it hurts.
That’s how it’s supposed to be: remember in that hurt
a Venezuelan gardener, someone in a dusty old picture

that person about to turn the corner of 13th street
the way someone always is. You remember
from a sharp piece of everything I am
a sly gnostic cupid pierces you with such arrows
an icicle above your doorway where will be a puddle 

at your feet. Just stand there and fall in love, a puddle of ink
white ink of nowhere, invisible ink
to write the world with, the invisible blood of the 
invisible wound from the arrow you are,
wounded by everything you see I’m sorry.

I’m sorry there is only someone else
makes your body a pleasure none without this hurt 
this first anything pinprick my poor body I was wounded into
and only you can heal me. Lies? Come over with your proof. 
Subscribe me to your tree, you the branch I never knew I had. 

Healing is remembering. Healing is remembering.
O Adam or Madame in the christ-pain of matter
tablets of bone hearsay of your legs
re-learn me what they still write, about the
prayer answering sky

my head bent against the starry ceiling 
and constellations of nerve-endings
festooned above it the way meanings spread under
a sign like a bruise, how long ago I stroked a star-fish
and the thunder hung like grapes above the aquarium.

No comments:

Post a Comment