Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Factorij 2.

2.
My eyes are best in the dark
abhor sun, keen in the mind
glow of rotting wood, electric

light of amber: only the light of what’s there, stuff
strafing us through their names.

Measure his back and you’ll see what’s in his hand, said the Guard.

(A chicken has three feet,’ says the Zhuangzi’s outermost chapter: thought to be an interpolation from later Mohists or Logicians, meaning thirdly the idea of feet; or not, the spirit of Zhuangzi’s mental freedom persists in the saying’s concreteness. The ground, the anthill, the ivory stair, and the chicken on it, inseparable. Language gives you away. Say anything. Just say.)

I trotted alongside her in the fur they gave me.

What is my name? I asked. 

Thing with a tail, she said,
because every name is taboo:
a banishment, because
your real name is being here,
being me, the sound of feet
under the leaves. And I stopped
listening, by an affect
of her speech. And
I heard rodents,

even here, she said,
is the partnered sea.

We trade the same knife for anybody,
he said. It was my first night at The Gate.

I’m still arguing with him. 

Moonish lustre of citrine
Merchant’s stone,

the light walks half way up the hill.
But doesn’t end. Nothing ends. And the stone
on my desk 

fades into roads
degrees, steppes of the spectrum where people
go, biting their lips
as if their fathers by chance 
angry in the East, met with broken livers and not a thought for wood.
Joyous in the South with stars in their wombs.
In the West needing only white breath for sustenance.
In the North, listening to bladders black with fear in hiding.

Look up, look in from the center. The way we do.
In and out, busy on their way to remembering.


No comments:

Post a Comment